Contract Value: R 258 523 818.60 Vat Inc
Contractor: Basil Read
Contract Period: 24 months
Completion Date: 6th October 2016
Resident Engineer: Vishal Sewpersad
Nankhoo Consulting Engineers has been appointed by the Department of Public Works to undertake the design and construction supervision of all civil services for the new Port Shepstone Magistrate Court. The site is situated off Andreassen Street in the Port Shepstone area. The total area of the site is 2.67ha, and is 62m above sea level, on a category 2 classified terrain.
This project aims to provide a high standard justice building that meets and serve the needs of the Hibiscus Coast Community.
The proposed new Magistrate Court consists of a Regional Court, 3 x District Courts, sexual offence courts, administration building, parkade and pedestrian ramp from the bus rank to the court.
Scope of Work:
The following forms part of Nankhoo Engineers scope of Works:
- Cutting of all the platforms (Bulk earthworks)
- Design of the Stormwater drainage system
- Design of the Sewer reticulation system
- Design of the Main Water reticulation system
- Design of the Fire main water supply system
- Design of the Main Access Road
- Design of the Internal access Road
- Design of the pedestrian walkway linking the bus rank to the Court
- Design of the parking area
Due to the enormity of this project, numerous challenges have been encountered to date. However with sound engineering principles being adopted, these challenges have been dealt with timeously and effectively. Some of the challenges encountered include unstable soil conditions, rock material, municipal services and founding conditions for the pedestrian walkway. Due to numerous specialist consultants on board, clear lines of communication and co operation amongst each discipline is required.
Compiled by Vishal Sewpersad (Above Right)